Thursday, January 7, 2010

Momo

Well, today one of our lizards, Momo, passed away.  He was so little and funny.  When he got scared, he'd do the hula!  He was always either hiding, or climbing on Sweets.  It was quite funny to watch him chase crickets around the cage, because he was so fast, but it was almost like he couldn't control his breaks.  He'd BAM into the glass.  He didn't grow all that much.  I felt bad for him....we had him in a cage with Tortuga, the other lizard of his kind, and since he was so little, Tortuga would grab his tail to hold him back so he could eat first.  I noticed one day his tail was all bloody, so we sat and watched to see why, and he was being bullied :(
It's very sad (to me at least) how he died.  He basically got eaten alive.  You see, he's a vegetarian that loved the occasional cricket.  So we had him in a cage with the bearded dragon, Sweets, who eats a ton of crickets, and he'd just eat the couple he could catch haha.  Well, while we were on vacation.  A lot of crickets were thrown into the cage at one time.  That's a lot of crickets for 2 lizards to eat, expecially when it's colder so they aren't moving as fast.  Well the crickets decided he was a good meal.  They chewed a hole in his side.  This morning I noticed blood on his side.  I figured maybe Sweets, who has long nails right now, may of accidentally got him in the side yesterday when they were climbing all over each other.  But when I picked him up, there was a whole a little bigger than a head of a q-tip in his side.  You could see right into his ribcage.  I called Matt at work and when he came home for lunch, he took him to work with him.  I guess when they looked at him, they had chewed a hole in his lung.  They tried to do surgery I guess, but he's very little and kind of quishy...and he died. 
I think people think if it's not a dog or cat, that it's not as important to take care of.  I don't know.  All I know is now my lizard is dead. 
Here's a picture of his hole the best I could take




~Hyuu

No comments:

Post a Comment