Friday, August 21, 2015

ANTS

Let me apologize in advance for this post.
I feel that I really need to vent, and I just chose this medium to do it.
 
Ok.....Ants.
They must be sent by the devil.  They are driving me INSANE.
I know, looking from the outside, you'd think I'm over reacting and they're just 'little bugs'
Well...ants in MASS are evil I tell you!
 
Now, if you know where I live, you know that it's not in a normal setting, nor a normal house at all!
This used to be a horse barn, hastily thrown together to be a temporary living space for a project that never came to pass.  We've been living here for 8 years (which was not the plan haha).  We've done our best to fix and deal with what happens.  But after the fire last year, the ants have taken refuge in our home.
This barn has hole...EVERYWHERE.  In the wall, the floor, everywhere.  I've sealed off what I can with regular ol glue (which is now gone) but they just find new ways around. And there are many ways.  Right now we have 5 entry points that the ants are using right now.  2 in the kitchen, 2 in the bathroom, and under the front door.
"Why don't you just take care of them?" You might be asking.
Well, you see.  I've tried almost everything.  Yes, there are some I haven't yet, but some cost and can add up quick.  I tried cornmeal, which worked last year, and they just go around it.  I tried pepper (supposed to not like to cross it) and they just walk the wall around.  I have soapy water in a spray bottle to kill ants to wipe them down, but they are in the same spots again 5 minutes later.  I tried Windex in order to erase their line smell...once it dries they don't care.  Right  now I just tried lemon juice and we'll see how that goes (though I just looked over at the door and saw one right where I had sprayed it)
**Update 15 min later.  Lemon just failed**
We have nothing out for them to get to (as much as is possible).  Right now their favorite is the toaster and George forman grill.  My honey is in a plastic bag and my peanut butter is in the fridge with my bread.  But they don't care haha.
We've tried to find their colonies(nest, hive, whatever) and have not been successful.  One looks like it's actually under the house itself.  But the ants are coming from at least 4 different directions, so that's quite the tracking process.
Why not call a professional?  Not only can that be pricey, but we did that last year and it did absolutely nothing.
Things I haven't tried: Borax, ant poison traps or spray, and I'm sure several other little things.
So, if you have any ideas let me know.  Anything that is a powder or anything like that (cornmeal, pepper, coffee grounds, baking soda) won't work because they just walk around it.
 
Sometimes I feel like "if I just let them swarm right here they'll leave the rest alone."  Nope!  Ants don't stop ever!  I swear they are bent on destroying my house.  They find the most random stuff to go after.  And when that's been swarmed, the scouts go out to find more.  Right now they are in the kitchen and bathroom mostly, but I've had them ALL over the carpet, in the couch, on my desk, and everywhere trying to find the tiniest of crumbs...which is bound to be around due to 2 young children.
And they bite! No, they aren't red ants.  Just your run of the mill black ant, but that doesn't stop them from sometimes biting.  And it hurts *tear*
 
So yes, little tiny ants have driven me insane!  I feel dirty and prisoner in my own 'house' *cough barn *cough*
 
Why don't we move out?  We're working on it! It's not an easy choice, nor is it cheap.  I just hope the ant 'season' ends soon (please o please end soon) so I can go pee without worrying about ants crawling in my pants!
 
 
 
~hyuu!

No comments:

Post a Comment