Monday, August 4, 2014

Sailor Moon Crystal Review - episodes 1-3

If you know me, you know that I love Sailor Moon.
I have been very excited about the reboot, Sailor Moon Crystal.
So far, the first three episodes have aired.
I'm going to talk about these first three all at once.  I'm going to try this in a different way than normal so, bear with me.
 
Music:
So far, the music is great.  I am in love with the opening song, and I can guarantee it will soon be finding it's way onto my iPod.  There is even a music video with the whole song that has Sailor Moon animation with it and it's beautiful.  Go look it up (Moon Pride)
 
Animation:
Now, I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about animation, but this is what I think.
The animation is ok.  I was really nervous when I first saw it, but I've kind of gotten used to it.  Some of it is really detailed.  I am not a big fan of the computer animated transformations, but meh they are only for a couple minutes.  But a couple things I can't get over.  The lipstick! In most anime, lipstick is only on older women or a girl trying to look older or going on a date.  These girls are 14, they don't need it.  Sometimes it's more subtle then others, but it drives me insane.  Also, the "noodle-ness" of it.  For example, when the scouts transform, they give their little speeches at the end...their poses while they're talking look so unnatural and awkward.  The animation was also surprisingly sloppy in episode 2, but I didn't really see that as an issue in 3.
 
Voices:
I originally thought that most of the original voice actors were to return for this, but according to Wikipedia (which, I know, isn't always the best source), this is not the case.  Only the voice for Usagi returned.  And for the most part I haven't noticed.  The only one I wish was the same so far is Raye.  Her voice seems to adult/deep to me.
 
Story:
The story has, so far, stuck to the manga very well.  If you want to be picky, there are a couple things that they changed which didn't seem necessary, but also don't really bother me either.  If you compare it to the original anime, it is almost the same with slight changes.  As the story progresses, it will veer off from the original anime more...as it sticks more to the manga.
 
CHARACTERS
Sailor Moon/Usagi Tsukino:

   Like I said earlier, the lipstick on her when she's so young bothers me.  And sometimes they make her hair look like a spaghetti monster. She does have the brooch from the Manga, which was changed in the original anime.  Also, her voice takes some getting used to.  It's higher pitched then most people remember.  She also talks kind of like.....baby talk I guess.  But she's still her lovable, wacky self.
 
Luna:
She is almost drawn...male? in my opinion.  She just seems, not quite as loveable.  Not quite sure how to explain that feeling though haha.
 
Tuxedo Mask/Mamoru Chiba:
Ok, remember in the original anime...all the roses and cheesy speeches.  None of that has yet to make an appearance, and I don't think it will.  In the manga, he never does any of that stuff.  He is also a high school student instead of college/working age, so it's not quite as creepy that he's dating a 14 year old.  So far, I am loving this Mamoru much more.  His pocket watch has made some small appearances, as have his glasses.  He is adorable!  He is also more helpful.  Instead of speeches, he actually tries to help.  I can't wait to see them give him his attack, regardless of it's cheesy name.
 
Sailor Mercury/Ami Mizuno:

This is probably the character that the lipstick looks the most out of place on.  Ami just isn't the type.  But her wardrobe is defiantly improved.  In the manga, at school she wears a sweater over her uniform, which seems to be a 'smart kid' wardrobe choice in anime.  Also, her scout uniform is slightly different than the others.  She doesn't have any of the 'poofs' on the top by the shoulders, and she has 3 earrings on one side.  Her pose is one of the weirdest.  At first it was ok, then she moved and she looked like her back was messed up.  But she's still her smart, adorable self.
 
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino:

Rei's new voice actress sounds too old for me, which I mentions above.  But that is the only thing I have to say about her.  Everything else seems perfect.  She hasn't really done any fire attacks yet.  When she attacked in her intro episode, she used a priestess scroll thing (I forgot their name).  Her pose is a little awkward too, but not near as bad as Mercury's.  She also doesn't seem to be quite as snarky.  I don't know if that will increase later, but right now she was pretty sweet.
 
So yea, that is pretty much it about the first three episodes.  They are wonderful.  Just a few things here and there that are kind of annoying, but no show is going to be perfect.  That's what the manga is for (teehee).
I can not wait for the next three episodes. We'll get to see Jupiter and Venus. 

 
 But before that we'll get to see a little more Usagi + Mamoru chemistry. *swoon*
 
Until next time!
 
YouTube reviews
 
 
~hyuu!
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment